“The Boy Who Cried Wolf…”

Oxnard High School has been encountering periodic false fire alarms

Juan Quero
One of the many fire alarms located at varying points of Oxnard High School’s campus.

Juan Quero, Editor-in-Chief

“It is a distraction, but now I simply try to ignore it, since it is kind of nothing, I just try to focus on whatever the teacher is teaching,” said Oxnard High School freshman Angela Quiroz. Since early last week, Oxnard High School’s fire alarms have become a perpetual occurrence.

Quiroz said, “The fire alarm has been pulled through first and second and fifth and sixth period.” These random incidents have increased in frequency, as well as becoming apparent at the portables and varying campus buildings.

AVID Counselor Ms. Stephanie Juarez described this recurring event as a result from a malfunctioning in the campus’ cable room — a location that happens to wire the fire alarms.

However, according to an anonymous source, an OHS student has also been witnessed tampering with the fire alarm’s plastic cover.

In the case that a peer has caused this recurrence, sophomore Sara Tirado said, “I think it’s either the sophomores or freshmen.” “The fire alarm is a serious thing and by them pulling it, and them keep going off, no one’s going to really care anymore. They are not going to think it is serious, when it is serious.”

In agreeance with Tirado that the lower class men are involved in this development, freshman Mayra Gonzales said, “I think they do it just to get attention. Just to look cool in front of their friends but it looks really lame and it is annoying.”

Sophomore April Melendez described the fire alarm as being sudden. Melendez, like Quiroz, Tirado, and Gonzales, believe that whoever may be setting off the alarm has been doing so as a method to avoid and decrease class time.

Given that the fire alarms have solely been caused by a technical difficulty, “Someone should fix the glitch, because it’s annoying and is disturbing people learning in the classroom,” said freshman Noah Tello Alvara.

Freshman Gabriel Olvera said the ability of setting off fire alarms should continue to be available to all personnel, as opposed to limiting the ability to specified faculty members. “If there was a fire and there wasn’t one of those people who are specifically [able to set off the alarms], then no one else would know.”

Freshman Christopher Contreras agreed that maintaining the ability of alarming the school in the case of an actual fire needs to be available to everybody. In reference to an individual who may be purposefully tripping the fire alarms, he said, “They should meditate about it. They might get into trouble — real bad trouble. And just for the safety of them and the other people, to be careful of what they are doing.”

Melendez further said “the boy who cried wolf…don’t do that because what if there is an actual fire and the teachers aren’t going to take it seriously anymore because it has been happening so much.”