It is the Thought that Counts

OHS students share their thoughts about buying gifts this holiday season

Melissa Cuevas

Shoppers waiting in a line to enter Victoria’s Secret at the Pacific View Mall

Melissa Cuevas and Vitaliy Kostylov

According to American Research Group, Inc., “The average planned spending for shoppers who have already started their holiday shopping is $666. [While], the average for those who have not started their shopping is $1,051,” for this year’s holiday season.

Resulting in the average amount of spending on gifts this season total nears from almost $700 to $1000, some OHS Students will not be spending anywhere near this estimated amount on gifts this year. Senior Brian Mora said, “I honestly, probably only [spend]  about 50 bucks because I’ll only buy presents for anyone younger than me…[since] I don’t have a job or anything.”

Oxnard High School junior Angel Aguirre said he spent about “$200 on average.” He continued to say, “Certain people get more expensive gifts, like people who matter to me more…because they’re worth more.” Although, Aguirre also goes on to say that “some people can’t spend much, [so] knowing that people thought about me, that’s great.”

For some OHS students, the gesture of the gift itself means more than the actual price of the gift. OHS senior Amber Holmes said, “It doesn’t matter, about the money, because Christmas is not about spending money. It’s about spending [time] with friends and family and the love given towards each other.”

Similarly, Aguirre said that the value of the gift is not as important as a gesture, he said, “I think that if you would give someone a very thoughtful gift that counts…[or even] maybe if you would make a gift yourself that will be better than buying it.”

“Your family does so much for you throughout the year that it’s nice to give them something back,” said sophomore David Zecua.

While money can buy an infinite amount of things sometimes the money is not what is important. As the Grinch once said, “Maybe Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas means a little bit more.”