Not So Best Friends Forever

Oxnard High School students talk about losing contact with friends

Edith Gallardo and Jazmine Toledo

“I’d rather end my friendship than my reputation,” said Oxnard High School sophomore Jackie Aldrete concerning her recent friendship that eventually deteriorated. Part of growing up means moving on and sometimes this entitles losing contact with friends or even completely ending friendships.

Some students rather end friendships than continue being involved with friends that no longer benefit them. “This person started getting into drugs and partying and those were things I didn’t want to be  associated with…[they were] trying to fit in rather than wanting to have friends that actually cared about them,” said Aldrete.

Others, however, unintentionally end their friendships. “He just recently graduated from Oxnard High School. I just found it easy to lose contact with him. ” said sophomore Darian Reyes concerning his friendship with a recent graduate.

However, students also acknowledge that the transition from junior high to high school affected their friendship. Junior Joel Sanchez said, “people tend to find their actual being in high school and they associate themselves with different groups and you just lose contact with them.”

Throughout some student’s high school experience, some believe losing contact with friends is part of growing up as an individual. “It helps you change as a person and you get more skill out of it. Such as meeting new people and it changes yourself mentally,” said Reyes.

Knowing friends for an extended period of time may or may not affect your perspective on them. Senior Alissa Carmona said, “the longer you know someone the more you get to see their true colors. You’ll get to decide if you like those true colors or not.”