Ten-Minute Rule

Oxnard High School students react on a new surprise school policy.

Mark Henry Salupen, Reporter

“With this new rule, I feel like my time is getting restricted. I get limited free time for myself to go to the restroom or relieve stress,” said Tori Ball, an Oxnard High School freshman, discussing the time restraints due to the school administration’s newly-implemented ten-minute rule.

The new rule requires teachers to hold students in the classroom during the first and last ten minutes of class. Ball said, “I don’t appreciate it, and I don’t think it’s a very good idea.”

Sophomore Mailyn Rea said that the new rule “strips students of their rights.” She added that the new rule is like “telling someone not to breathe because you have to wait ten minutes.You are going to let that kid piss in their pants just because it’s the first or last ten minutes of class.”

Ball added that the policy strips students of their rights. She said, “I feel like adults and the teachers don’t take this into account. They don’t see students as an equal to them. It’s not really our choice to be here, so why does it matter what we think?”

As a group of students, their opinion matters and some students support the opposition against the ten-minute rule. Some of those who are affected all agree that there is a better approach to this situation. Ball and Rea both agree that the rule can be dealt with in better ways.

OHS junior Brogan Gallagher understands why the students feel this way. She said, “I think it’s useful for relieving stress during a test to leave the classroom for a certain period of time. This is a good tool and should be encouraged to all students.”

On the other hand, Gallagher believes that it is not that big of a sacrifice. She said, “If teachers really want to enforce this rule they have the right to do so. Kids are going to ditch…they are going to be troublemakers. This rule is not solving any of these problems.”

Students like Rea do not understand why this rule is being implemented. She said, “As an entire student body, we need to know why [they are enforcing this rule]. We can’t just listen to them because they are the authority. We need to know why.”

Regina Petty, OHS textbook media clerical believes that the new rule gives teachers another reason to keep students in class. She said, “This rule is not bad, but I call kids out of class and it’s usually the last ten minutes that I need them and it doesn’t work for me. But I can see it working for the teachers.”

Furthermore, Petty said, “Most students take advantage of their teachers anyway. Students get away with a lot of things they shouldn’t be getting away with. The administration doesn’t back up the teachers as much as they should be. I don’t think that’s fair for everybody to try and have these rules but have no one to back you up for it.”