Interracial Relationships

Does skin tone matter in a relationship?

Adriana Mandujano, Reporter

Throughout American history, interracial relationships have been a topic of controversy. At one point, bans on interracial marriages, called anti-miscegenation laws or miscegenation laws, were in place throughout the United States.

In 1958, Mildred and Richard Loving were arrested from their home and thrown in jail for violating Virginia’s Racial Integrity Act. In the 1967 Court case, Loving v Virginia, the Supreme Court ruled bans on interracial relationships as “unconstitutional” and invalidated the anti-miscegenation laws.

Although anti-miscegenation laws were out of place in 1967, the last law that officially prohibited interracial marriage was repealed in Alabama in 2000 according to an article on PBS.org. Prejudice against interracial couples still continues in the 21st century.

In 2013, a Cheerios ad that featured an interracial family received backlash and sparked racist comments online. With comments along the lines of “disgusting” and “horrible.”

However, in the midst of racial comments, positive reactions emerged towards Cheerios. One of which was said by Beschelle Lockhart in a social media post  “Many thanks for reflecting what my family looked like.”

In a recent interview by OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) in 2014, Tamera Mowry discussed her marriage with husband Adam Housley. “People choose to look past love and spew hate,” said Mowry about people who directed negative comments about her interracial marriage. “I’m happy to be in the relationship that I am because it’s based on love.”

People directed negative comments towards Mowry in regards to her interracial marriage despite the fact that Mowry is a biracial daughter of Darlene and Timothy Mowry.

“My mom is white, and my dad is Mexican,” said Oxnard High School senior Ana Sanchez, “Sometimes my parents get looks when we’re in an area with a large group of one race.” This may be attributed to prejudice that still lingers.

“I think every culture has some sort of prejudice or ethnic bias in it,” said OHS Spanish teacher Tim Murray.

“One ethnic group/culture might have their beliefs and views on what is right while another ethnic group/culture could have views that contradict with those beliefs resulting in a certain degree of prejudice,” said Santiago High School senior, Santiago Figueroa.

“On the inside were all the same,” said OHS junior Juan Carlos Dujardin.

“People of different skin colors can love each other, and it’s ok,” said OHS junior Vinina Lansangan, “I think all relationships are based on love.”