Morality and Religion

Does religion give you a good morality

Rhiannon Enriquez, Reporter

Religion defines to be different in many various nationalities and words. The Merriam Webster dictionary states that religion is “an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods.”

Psychologytoday.com, a magazine website exploring psychological issues and research, expresses the view that religion can help make sense of the world, provide motivation, and bind people together.

In contrast, Oxnard High School history teacher Mr. Conte said, “[Religion] is the ability to help those who cannot help themselves.”

When people claim to have faith or belief system and do not follow the scripture, it is often seen as critical and hypocritical.

According to godandscience.org, there are series of examples of what a hypocrite is in religion. The source states that an example of spotting a religious hypocrite show as someone giving the weak to be recognized by others. Or a religious figure who attends the church of practice and then defies their religion outside church grounds.

However, others find it as a compromise to still believe in someone or something and take real beliefs into account.

Often children from religious families take on their parents religions and follow the churches that they grew up in. Some experiences from certain ceremonies to different religious events strengthen the bond between children and their parents.

According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the extra time with the children will develop a relationship that is strong and will be an excellent basis for childhood.

However, theguardian.com, an online newspaper, refutes that statement by their conduction of a study for children following religion’s connection to morality. “They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.”

The source also stated that “More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularization of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness – in fact, it will do just the opposite.”

Referencing back to the notion of religion spawning hypocrisy and questionable values for individual followers.

Daniel Sui, an OHS junior, said that despite his family’s belief in Buddhism, he is an atheist. Sui’s disbelief in a god or any gods comes from his observations of a child.

Sui claimed, “[I] still go to church with them and I still attend the religious ceremonies but, I don’t believe in any of it.”

Despite, all of the controversy on what makes an actual perfect religious figure, the end message should be to believe in whatever there is, but as long as there is morality and human kindness is in it, then there is no problem.