National Free Days

Cultural celebrations that go on in the community

Rhiannon Enriquez, Reporter

Here in America, there are so many holidays and special occasions that are marked out on the calendar every year. For some people it is important, in reality for others, it’s a day off for work or a day off at school.

There are connections that particular cultures have with one another, whether it’s the same religion or same traditions, it links ethnicities worldwide. In America, the holidays may differ as some people take their culture with foreign nations and bring them to America.

People often wonder why random celebrations are going on during an average day.

In America, there are the standard holidays that most people celebrate. They go from the infamous Fourth of July to the famous New Year’s Day.

In each nationality, there are celebrations that go on behind the walls of homes, churches and even in the great outdoors.

People who originated from foreign countries often bring back some of the holidays and occasions.

“We celebrate Dia de Los Muertos, and we celebrate Mother’s Day which doesn’t land on the typical same day,” said Juan Martinez an Oxnard High School Junior.

Martinez’ family comes from different parts of Mexico, and they throw huge parties with lots of food for the household. Martinez also celebrates with his family ‘day of the three kings’ or Dia de Los Reyes.  

Another family that originated from Mexico would be the Barragan’s. Oxnard High School junior Socorro Barragan’s family brought back the quinceanera and typical Mexican holidays.

Where a person is from it is not always a given that someone follows the occasions or events from their originality. Some people say that when their families had come from a foreign nation, they celebrated only American traditions and followed American calendars.

Oxnard High School Junior Veronica Tapia said “My family once coming here from Mexico did not bring anything back” due to the belief of the past being the past. Tapia’s family celebrated a sweet sixteen, despite being ready for a quinceanera, and they follow American traditions.

Some holidays go on all over the world from continent to continent; it is evident that there is more than meets the eye. According to timeanddate.com, there are lists and lists of real foreign national holidays.

In Japan each year on November 3rd, they celebrate “Bunka no hi”, which is translates to “Culture day”. This day is dedicated to providing peace and freedom for Japanese people.

In Germany, they celebrate on October 3rd, “Day of German Unity” which is a national day off to workers and festivals to bring all cultures together.

In Russia, every May 9th is an important win where Russia celebrated the victory of World War Two.  The day is dedicated to remembering the lives of those lost to regain the mother country and fight for Soviet lands.

Gladly foreigners come to America and part of the diverse cultures that people can be opened to, no matter how crazy or exotic they are the holidays of the lands to which people have birthed.