“Do White People Get Stressed Talking About Race?”

Students discuss engaging in racial conversations

Tatyana Sharpe, Editor-in-Chief

“It’s never been brought up. I was raised to not talk about race…well, at least not in a negative way,” said Oxnard High School sophomore Chandler Johnson.

Often times the topic of race, or ethnicity, may be discussed in many conversations. According to the Buzzfeed segment, “Do White People Get Stressed Talking About Race?”, a White individual may feel uncomfortable discussing racial subjects with people of color.  

The stress level of the White people getting tested was high when thoughts were exchanged on racial topics between those of color, and low when they discussed the same topic with other White people.

“If I’m around a group where everyone else is not white, it’s not like I feel excluded…It’s just a different environment,” said Johnson.

One of the tested individuals named Josh said, “When the topic of race comes up it’s not something that I have a pretty loud voice in,” he said, “I don’t feel like I have the experience to be a voice in that conversation.”

Likewise, OHS freshman Chase Kapphahn believes that White people, including himself, should listen rather than speak in the conversation.

However, one may feel the need to voice their opinion when the topic of race is being deliberated among a group.

OHS freshman Chloe Pebbles said, “I think I should talk more because I like to talk to other people about why they shouldn’t be racist.”

In like manner, Lindsay from the Buzzfeed segment said, “the fact that it’s hard to talk about it shows that we need to get really comfortable talking about race,” she said, “that’s a conversation we need to be having.”

Whether or not a White person decides to engage in racial discussions, it is equally important to listen as well as voicing an opinion on race.