Ten-Minute Rule

Oxnard High School students react on a new surprise school policy.

Mark Salupen, Reporter

“With this new rule, I feel like my time is getting restricted. I get limited free time for myself to go to the restroom or relieve stress,” said Tori Ball, an Oxnard High School freshman, discussing the time restraints due to the OHS administration’s newly-implemented ten-minute rule, which requires teachers to hold students in the classroom during the first and last ten minutes of class. “I don’t appreciate it, and I don’t think it’s a very good idea,” said Ball.

More importantly, Ball added that the policy strips students of their rights. The regulation was a surprise to Ball, and she feels that the students’ opinion was disregarded as shown in the stapling of this new policy. She said, “I feel like adults and the teachers don’t take this into account. They don’t see students as an equal to them just because in technical terms, we, the students… It’s not really our choice to be here, so why does it matter what we think?”

Mailyn Rea, OHS sophomore, continues the idea that this new rule “strips students of their rights, comparing it to what she said is “telling someone not to breathe because you have to wait ten minutes.” She further said, “You are going to let that kid piss in their pants just because it’s the first or last ten minutes of class.”

As a group of students, their opinion matters and some students agree towards the opposition against the ten-minute rule. Some of those who are affected all agree that there is a better approach to this situation. Ball and Rea come to agree on being against the rule, they said, “I think this could be dealt with in better ways.”

Brogan Gallagher, an OHS junior, understands the importance of leaving the classroom upon the students’ will and continues Ball’s point of both classroom and stress alleviation. She said, “I think it’s useful for relieving stress during a test to leave the classroom for a certain period of time.” To Gallagher, she is aware “this is a good tool and should be encouraged to all students.”

Although Gallagher shows some consideration towards leniency, she also sees it as “not that big of a sacrifice.” As a rule agreed upon the school staff, she said, “If teachers really want to enforce this rule they have the right to do so.” Being a student, this rule does not apply to her as well as those who try to ignore the rule’s lackluster hold, Gallagher said, “Kids are going to ditch…They are going to be troublemakers. This rule is not solving any of these problems.”

There are many mysteries as to what justice may or may not be done to the few students’ own peace of mind. Some even believe this as to be a “power trip”, said Rea. To her, it all comes down to the question of, “Why?” She said, “If the school just told us why. Yet, they don’t tell us, everyone’s just making guesses. We need to know why. As an entire student body, we need to know why, we can’t just listen to them because they are the authority. We need to know why.”

Regina Petty, OHS textbook media clerical, said, “This rule is not bad, but I call kids out of class and it’s usually the last ten minutes that I need them and it doesn’t work for me. But I can see it working for the teachers.” Although it’s not beneficial to her, the some of the schoolwide outcome is superior for the teachers. It gives teachers another reason to keep kids in class.

However, Petty said, “Most students take advantage of their teachers anyway. We are a very open campus. Students get away with a lot of things they shouldn’t be getting away with. The administration doesn’t back up the teachers as much as they should be. I don’t think that’s fair for everybody to try and have these rules but have no one to back you up for it.”