• Friday, October 21, 2016 Hoco Spirit Day: SPARKLE FEVER FRIDAY

• Thurday, October 20, 2016 Hoco Spirit Day: DRESS LIKE YOUR FAVORITE CELEBRITY

• Wednesday, October 19, 2016 Hoco Spirit Day: MIX AND MATCH

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Parent Teacher Student Association

PTSA offers benefits for students and their parents.

The PTSA Board at the first meeting held on September 13, 2016

At Oxnard High School, there are a variety of ways for students and parents to get involved. While students can connect to the school by joining sports and clubs, one way for parents to get active on campus is by joining the Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA).

According to their webpage on the Oxnard High School website, the PTSA is a “non-profit organization which raises money to support a variety of programs that benefit our students and staff.”

Ms. Ginny Whitt, the PTSA Historian, said that PTSA “provides students with a number of volunteer opportunities throughout the year that look great on resumes and college applications.  And for the parents, PTSA is a unique opportunity to stay informed and meet other parents.”

“It’s good for parents to get involved,” said Ms. Debra Erdmann, who is a member of the PTSA and a teacher at OHS. “It’s an opportunity for parents to ask the principal questions about the school and to help problem solve if there’s any issues.”

Ms. Eva Vazquez, the president of the PTSA for the 2016-2017 school year, said, “Being part of PTSA will give me the chance to have a voice to represent our students and families.”

This organization not only makes contributions to Oxnard High School, but also to students and parents. Last school year, the PTSA raised $4,500 in scholarship money, which they awarded to nine OHS students at the Senior Awards Night.

To become eligible for the scholarships offered, one must meet certain requirements. Ms. Eileen Whalen, the secretary of the PTSA, said, “[The] scholarships are only offered to seniors, with a grade point average of 2.5 or better, who are going on, after graduation, to a trade or technical school, a two year community college or a four year college or university.  The applicant must be a current OHS PTSA member who has been registered as an OHS PTSA member for at least two years and who has participated in at least one OHS PTSA event during four years at OHS.”

This year, the PTSA has set goals to reach out to other parents and students.

Ms. Whitt said, “It is the OHS PTSA’s goal this year to provide translation assistance at our monthly meetings, and Dr. Eric Riegert [the principal of OHS] has assured us that we will have access to the special translator headsets which will make this process much easier.”

By reaching out to the school’s non-native speakers, PTSA is encouraging participation of a group that has a large presence in the school community, but a small voice.

”I have always wanted to know what is going on at my children’s schools, and I also know that kids don’t always share important information with their parents, and the PTA/PTSA is a great way to stay informed,” said Ms. Whitt.

Ms. Vazquez said, “We are all busy, but I believe that as parents we should take a bit of our time to get involved with our children’s school and know what’s going on.”