Generations of Yellowjacket Pride

Current students and alumni of OHS give testimonies of the unity and appreciation among campus.

David Gonzalez, graduation year 1972

Popular high school website collegeconfidential.com listed the greatest high school memories as those from Homecoming, Sadie’s Dance, home football games, Prom, Grad Nite, and of course, teachers who made a difference. In tribute to those great memories, this nostalgic retrospective provides thoughts from some of Oxnard High School’s current students and memories from OHS alumni.

According to the school’s website, Oxnard High School has been open for 114 years. At the start of its establishment, OHS was the only school in the district containing 41 students, one principal, and two teachers.  Its founders were M.H. Gabbert, President; Adolfo Camarillo, W.E. Goodyear, Charles Gill, E.H. Wood, G.A. Hails, H.W. Witman, and James Leonard.

Throughout the years, OHS has encountered great progress now housing approximately 3,000 students and over 200 staff members, according to the schools

Despite the large numbers, there is no lack of quality at OHS. “They have awesome teachers that truly do care about the students,” said OHS senior Paul Santellano.

Through generations of Yellow jacket history, the high level of expectations demands that a variety of programs and services be offered to students. “I heard that they had really good programs to help their students,” said Class of 2011 alumnus Liliana Martinez.

Counselors, as well as teachers and administrators, take the time to ensure that all students are provided with the services throughout their OHS careers, even after graduation. Emigdio Cordova, counselor, and migrant student coordinator, was remembered by 2007 OHS graduate Jeimy Camacho “Mr. Cordova was very helpful with guiding and advising me to continue doing my best.” The ethnic diversity of OHS makes it a special place.

OHS strives to meet the needs of their students. “The school had after-school programs that helped me with homework and the migrant program,” said Camacho, who was an English learner.

The OHS tradition of providing services and aid for all students has engendered an environment of trust that has resulted in long lasting relationships. “Mrs. Timmons has been there for me since freshman year,”said Santellano, “If I ever need anything, I’ll go to her and she will help me, no matter what time it is.”

Over the generations, fashion statements are a noticeable part of the high school experience. “In my days we wore bell bottoms and coats with long scarves,” said 1972 graduate David Gonzalez.

“Girls would wear a lot [of] gel in their hair. We would think that the harder it would get the nicer it would look,”said 2008 OHS alumnus Mayra Martinez, “We would wear rubber bands on our pants and pull them up so it would look tight on the bottom.”

Fast-forwarding to the New Millennium, this generation makes a statement of their own with “Nice plain or printed tops with jeans or just graphic tees,” according to current OHS senior Alyssa Mireles.

According to oxnardhigh.us/about/, throughout the changing years at Oxnard High School, one aspect has remained constant — its vision statement of “High standards of academic excellence and personal behavior and believes in the fundamentals of success, diversity, and empowerment”.