English Language Learners in A.V.I.D

The new way Oxnard High School is helping English Learner Students

Through the education system, students deserve the same tools and opportunities  to become successful. In a 2013-2014 study by the National Center for Education Statistics, California ranks the highest percentage, at 22.7 percent, of English language learners or ELL students. ELL students often come from non-English speaking homes and are unable to learn effectively in English, according to The Glossary of Education Reform. Due to the lack of comprehension, ELL students struggle in receiving the help or resources needed to continue on after high school.

“Too many get a high school diploma and still cannot fill out a job application!”, said Oxnard Union High School District Administrator Dr.Connie Cervera

“Education is the key to having options in life,” said Dr. Cervera when she noticed a need in helping ELL students.  After realizing  her own World Civilization students were having a hard time comprehending the material she was determined to do more for them.

A.V.I.D, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a non-profit organization in which prepares students for college or post high school opportunities. In 44 states, AVID supports students to reach their full potential.

Here at Oxnard High School, Dr.Cervera implemented a new curriculum combining ELL students and AVID. Unfortunately, not many students were motivated to take the AVID 1 or 2 ELL classes and since then have been combined into only one class taught by Mr.Garcia.

Through the A.V.I.D 1 / 2  ELL class the “goal is to main stream [the students] into regular A.V.I.D by senior year,” said Mr.Garcia in hopes his students can “apply to a 4 year institution and hopefully get accepted”.
It may take time to lead these students on the path to success as many were accustomed to barely getting by, due to the No Child Left Behind Act the students grew up with. The expectation for the  class is that ELL students “are given every opportunity to develop the skills they need for a better future”, said Dr. Cervera.