• Enjoy your Winter Break and Happy Holidays from The Buzz!

• Return back to school on January 7th

• Come support our Winter sports: Basketball, Soccer, Water Polo, and Wrestling!

The Buzz

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Coaches Make a Difference

OHS Cross Country Girls Welcome Coach Arce

“She always knows the right thing to say, at the right time,” said Oxnard High School junior Mariah Madueño regarding the new OHS Girls’ Cross Country coach, Carissa Arce. This heartfelt message is a common belief amongst the team who appreciates Coach Arce.

The athletes are motivated by a coach who believes in their potential to be the best. “She makes us faster runners — we can run faster for a longer time,”  said Madueño.

The coaches support goes beyond the trails. “I hope that I can help them not only be better runners, but better people in general,” said Coach Arce, whose goals are to develop athletes and students who will perform on their feet as well as in the classroom.

With a goal of getting the girls to county, she wants Cross Country to not only be known as a group of girls who simply run, but also as a strong known team. “I’d love to see us get to CIF and I’d love for us to build, like, a real program and be taken seriously as competitors,” said Coach Arce.

“A few girls have been more confident since her arrival,” said OHS senior Sarah Tirado. This commitment to excellence is what has endeared her runners to have great confidence in the coach’s ability to raise the levels of expectations for the program.

The coach’s support and advice is what the girls take with them to the practice and races. “It helps me get my mind set for upcoming meets I have,” said OHS sophomore Delia Ceja, “I used to not believe in myself and she’s taught me to believe in myself.”

Arce has helped the girls know how to behave and this is what  has boosted their performance.

“The team has become more confident and has someone to look up to,” said OHS junior Nazareth Garcia.