To Stand, or Not To Stand

People have reasons behind standing or sitting during the Pledge of Allegiance.

Everyday during 2nd period, Oxnard High School students are expected to stand, face the flag, place their right hand over heart, and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Although it is not mandatory, most people were taught that it is seen as a sign of patriotism to our country.

Because Americans enjoy the benefits of this nation, there’s a certain fundamental patriotism that they 0are expected to have. “I stand up for the pledge. It’s my duty as a citizen to respect our country and to appreciate it,” said OHS sophomore Bryan Strasser, who is in ROTC.

Some view that standing for the pledge respects the soldiers who died for our country. “Veterans may not know [if you sit during the pledge], but I still think it’s disrespectful,” said sophomore Max Johnson.

This might have been the case years ago, but now people have found different values in standing for the Pledge of Allegiance. Junior Lisa Crismon said, “The flag is really old and the Constitution was written for people in a time that is not today.” Crismon also said that the pledge isn’t that serious and the troops are not really affected by it.

Repeating a phrase everyday should not prove one’s loyalty to their country. “There’s a lot of problems with our country, and there’s nothing wrong with acknowledging them and choosing not to be patriotic,” said senior Natalie Barriga.  

OHS junior Emily Maldonado, who personally sits down for the pledge, believes that it is not disrespectful. “If respect can’t be given to people of color, why should it be given to a flag?” she said.

Maldonado’s opinions on this subject regard the current problems involved in our country today. “The pledge says ‘one nation under God, indivisible…’ If we were really indivisible, then we wouldn’t have a superior race. And ‘with liberty and justice for all,’ is also untrue. If a white person were to commit the same crime as a black person, they would not have to fear for their life.”

The words of the pledge are something that people pay no mind to when saying it. They don’t actually understand and accept the meaning of those words. Maldonado concluded by saying, “I will stand for the pledge when we all finally have equal rights.”