Fake Or Not

To inform students about the advantages and disadvantages of fake and real Christmas trees.

George Harrell, Program Coordinator for Caregivers said, “ A home isn’t a home without a tree at Christmas time. It makes it feel homey and brings back memories of childhood.”

77 percent of Americans surveyed planned to decorate with a Christmas tree, in 2015. Out of 99 million homes, 81 percent used artificial trees and 19 percent used real trees according to thetimesnews.com.

There have been many benefits and disadvantages when buying artificial and natural Christmas trees.

One disadvantage of having an artificial tree, commented by Oxnard High School junior Elizabeth Borges, is that “No matter what they do, an artificial tree will never look like, feel like, or smell like a real Christmas tree.”

On the other hand, having an artificial Christmas trees means that “ You can use it again for the following years.” said by Oxnard High School junior Samantha Alvarado.

A disadvantage of having a natural Christmas tree is that they “rarely ever go on sale—unless it’s really last minute or it’s a tree on its last legs. With artificial trees, when you find the tree that you want, buy it right then. Chances are that if you like it so will everyone else. The best trees do not go on sale; the best trees are sold out before Thanksgiving.” commented by christmastreeforme.com.

But they are still some people who would prefer to buy a natural Christmas tree because artificial trees are over priced. “Artificial trees cost an average of about $100, and have an average lifespan of 10 years. Real Christmas trees cost an average of $49 in the 2012 season.” stated by diffen.com.

Oxnard High School senior Jake Adams said “Christmas trees traditions could be classic and symbolic. If you just have always had a tree it’ll mean a lot to you to have one during Christmas, if you’re a sentimental person who associates Christmas with a tree.”