• Friday, October 21, 2016 Hoco Spirit Day: SPARKLE FEVER FRIDAY

• Thurday, October 20, 2016 Hoco Spirit Day: DRESS LIKE YOUR FAVORITE CELEBRITY

• Wednesday, October 19, 2016 Hoco Spirit Day: MIX AND MATCH

Homework Center, Here to Help!

Student tutors and homework center coordinator discuss the benefits of attending

“It makes it less daunting to learn from someone who is just slightly older than you,” said Oxnard High School Homework Center co-coordinator and English teacher Ms. Crystal Murillo, explaining how the center creates a comfortable environment for its student clientele.

The Homework Center provides student tutors and teachers for any help in subject areas like English, Math, Science, and History. The hours of operation are Tuesday through Thursday, 3:15 to 5:00 p.m., in the OHS library.

There are multiple resources available for students at the homework center. OHS senior and homework center tutor George Galvan said that computers are easily accessible, and tutors are available to ensure there is guidance for technology and study.

According to educator website teachingonpurpose.org, peer tutoring has proven to be extremely successful for improving academic success in low achievers. The Homework Center provides outside support that allows students to avail themselves of for a particular discipline or course of study. It strives to be a school setting “where students can go and feel safe and have the resources to work on their homework,” said Mrs. Murillo.

Connections can be built between students of differing class levels at the Homework Center. For example, a freshman or sophomore can build a connection with a junior or senior tutor. Associating with a more experienced and higher class-level peers can be advantageous in providing knowledge and guidance that lower class-level students are comfortable with.

The homework center is not only beneficial to students who need help in a subject area, but also for the student tutors as well.