More to Consider

Students and staff discuss factors to consider when committing to a university

Once acceptance letters arrive for seniors planning to attend a 4-year university, they must make the decision of which college would be best for them. There are many things to keep in mind when comparing schools, especially when it comes down to deciding between two.

According to Oxnard High School counselor Stephanie Juarez, college tuition is a major component in this situation. She said, “Putting that burden on yourself forever with student loans or your parents is a big factor.”

California Lutheran alumnus and also California State University, Channel Island’s Coordinator of New Student Orientation Ariana Robles agreed with Juarez when she said “Now that I work at a university myself, I believe a huge tiebreaker should be the financial aid package. What school is giving you more money?”

For some, money plays a big part in what school they will attend in the upcoming year. Robles also added that it is important to see which school has negotiable and nonegotiable loans to ensure that one receives as much financial aid as possible.

It is essential for one to know what they like and what it is specifically that they are looking for. “As a student, it is very important to feel connected to the university and find a home away from home,” said Robles. Along with this, she said taking tours of schools allows the student to “feel out”  a campus by simply walking around to experience it for the first time.

Another major thing to keep in consideration is the location of the university. For OHS senior Chris Pascua, whose dream school is the University of California, Los Angeles, location plays a big part in choosing schools. For Pascua, UCLA’s diversity and the fact that Los Angeles is “the center of everything” plays a big part in his decision.

Deciding on which college or university is ‘better’ may be personal preference, but these important factors should not be disregarded as they will play an important role throughout one’s college experience.