Bussing for Knowledge

Oxnard High School students give their thoughts on how education is being taught.

Students at Oxnard High School have different views on the education that OHS has to offer. There are factors that can change students’ views on how the academics at OHS proceed. Some student perspectives on OHS academics is that for the most part it’s fine but a little dull. OHS senior Joseph Robles states, “I think it’s good for the most part. There are some teachers that don’t go super in depth into the subject. They just hand you worksheets and you complete them; but, except for them, it’s mostly fine.”

Sophomore Lena Jones adds to that by saying, “I believe it’s good; but, I feel like it may be moving too fast for some generations.” Moreover, according to some, teacher expectations that students should already know the material, or assertions that it is too early to introduce material reserved only for higher grade levels, causes confusion and a failure to learn. Yet others feel lost in unclarified lesson plans.

When teachers expect previous teachers to have already taught any particular material, this causes a big problem for the new incoming students. Robles finds, “It’s the learning system. Let’s say, you are a freshman coming in–teachers won’t cover a certain topic because they say that you will be learning it next year, so they won’t go over it. And then that teacher will say, ‘You guys should have covered this last year.’  And you are just sitting there clueless.”

The school environment can also affect a student’s academic motivation and also their thoughts about their class. Robles believes, “There are a lot of good teachers out there who will push you and encourage you to do more, and that’s what I think is pretty inspiring,”

OHS expects students to take more rigorous courses which can add more difficulty to the learning systems. Jones states, “I wouldn’t push Advance Placement [classes] so hard on incoming students because there are a lot of A-G [College Entrance] Requirements. And I myself have to take summer courses every year, being in honors, as an AP student just to fulfill High School graduation requirements.”

Students seem to tolerate OHS and to a certain extent are content with what the school has to offer academic-wise, but from a psychological aspect are the people who are running the school and have the power to do so,  really doing everything that they can to make sure that the school is producing creative, innovative, responsible, and sensitive individuals? Or is the school more focused on running an acceptable institution and maintaining an authoritarian based role, instead of ensuring that the students in the school are well educated, well informed, and well aware of not only the things that are happening outside the school, but also what is happening inside the school walls?

Looking into the future of education at Oxnard High School, students attitudes about their classroom and everyday school experiences could potentially change going into 2018. If so, school leaders in the meantime could work on constructing a good educational plan to verify that OHS is able to effectively provide the best for it’s students and staff not just from an academic standpoint, but from a mental outlook as well.