An Alternate Universe

Students give their opinion on the Mandela Effect.

Imagine waking up and finding yourself in an alternate universe. Having a clear memory of something and then being told it was never like that can keep you wondering about a lot of things. A theory of “sliding” between parallel realities has made the Mandela Effect an emerging phenomenon. Thinking about the odds of there being multiple universes and conspiracy theories in general is interesting according to OHS student, Leslie Cruz.

The Mandela Effect started with a man by the name of Nelson Mandela and the belief of his death. Nelson Mandela spent some of his life in prison for a while and caused people to believe he died but several years later when people heard the news about his death as a recent event caused a lot of confusion. “Someone travels back in time and changes something from the past and now we see it different” is how OHS junior student, Tania Romero describes the Mandela Effect.

In the book English Alive, published on October 1st, 1991 it stated Nelson Mandela’s death being on July 23rd, of 1991. People can have memories of things being a specific way but later in time it differs from what is in books or other platforms. This made people wonder and notice more changes. “I remember I was eating a kitkat and then I realized that the title changed because it used to have a dash” said OHS sophomore student, Leslie Cruz. Throughout time people have noticed more changes due to the Mandela Effect, for example the television show known as The Berenstein Bears, which according to this universe it has always been The Berenstain Bears. People have memories of  watching the television show and reading the books under the name of The Berenstein Bears, not Berenstain. It is believed that people’s memories depend on what universe they are from.