Should Dreamers be Treated Differently?

Dreamers should be given the opportunity to keep living their dreams.

Having the opportunity to become someone in the world and to work is what Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) members, known as Dreamers, look for as they apply for the DACA program. President Obama created the program during 2012 that allowed thousands of young people who were brought to the United States illegally, thrive and grow as students. With the help of this program as many as 800,000 Dreamers have been able to  live and work legally in the U.S.

Some of the Dreamers have gone through Oxnard High School and its District.“We believe all students have the right to an education so even the district does not know who our dreamers are”, said the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) Director at Oxnard High School, Wendy Henchy.

The Dreamers in our community should be treated equally according to Mrs. Henchy who said, “ I have to be hopeful that our country will come around and value what it is built on, immigrants. Our country was built on immigrants except for Native Americans.” Spanish teacher at OHS, Mrs. Garza gave her perspective on how she views the life of a Dreamer. “Of course I will not generalize but there are students who receive everything from their parents and do not value education. Those who come from other countries of poor families study willingly and disciplined, they have the ‘American Dream’ that’s why they are called the Dreamers.”

Some of the Dreamers are not afraid to show who they are but there are people who don’t support their benefits. “ A student told me to put as weaknesses, in his scholarship, that his family did not have money. I said I will not write that because if a racist reads your application they will not give you the scholarship.” said Mrs. Garza. In the end students like OHS Senior Quenia Garcia, said that “DACA has a great effect on the U.S.” and that the “ program is making the U.S. have more lawyers, nurses, etc.”  The program has overall given the opportunity to the Dreamers to reach their ‘American Dream’ in the United States.