• Enjoy your Winter Break and Happy Holidays from The Buzz!

• Return back to school on January 7th

• Come support our Winter sports: Basketball, Soccer, Water Polo, and Wrestling!

The Buzz

Filed under Community, OHS

Other Options Besides College

There are different paths after high school to pursue that do not include college

After high school, there’s a decision to make considering one’s future. Options vary from heading straight to a four year university to not going to college at all. In between, there’s the option of taking a gap year, working, attending community college, or heading into the military. At Oxnard High School, 45 percent of seniors are going to a community college, 33 percent are going to a university, 17 percent did not apply, three percent are entering the military, and two percent are working.

According to todaysmilitary.com, a website that serves the branches of the U.S. military, the basic educational requirement is a high school diploma in any branch of the military. OHS senior Andrew Urias decided that pursuing a higher education was not for him and settled on entering the military instead.

Urias came to the decision to become a nuclear engineer for the Navy. “A lot of places like to recruit nuclear engineers after their tour of duty and the salaries can reach up to 100k a year, and I happen to like money,” said Urias.

OHS students, especially juniors, have already started thinking about their futures. Junior Gavin Hammon, looking at all options, is considering becoming a Navy SEAL after high school. “I would like to give back to veterans who have protected me my whole life. The benefits are a plus, too,” said Hammon, who is still unsure about college for his future.

Settling on a decision can be difficult for some which is why a gap year may be necessary. “It provides an opportunity for high school graduates to figure out what career they’d like to pursue,” said OHS senior Jarrick Porte.

Regarding a gap year, OHS senior Mailyn Rea said, “I know who I am. I know that if I don’t go to college right away, I may not go at all.”

Whichever decision is made depends on the person because pursuing a higher education is not for everyone.