Bringing Awareness to TDV and Consent

OHS hosted its first “Teen Dating Violence” Week

Teen dating violence (TDV) is a public issue that affects people of all ages, especially high school teenagers. TDV is regarded as physical, sexual, or psychological violence within a romantic relationship. According to breakthecycle.org, 1 in 3 people experiences physical and/or sexual violence from a partner. To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, it’s important to understand the statistics involved with abuse in young people’s relationships.

Also from breakthecycle.org, in a recent national survey, nearly 10 percent of high school students reported physical violence and 11 percent reported experiencing sexual violence from a dating partner in the 12 months before the survey. Teens who are victims in high school are at higher risk for abuse throughout their life. Victims of teen dating violence are also more likely to experience symptoms of depression and anxiety. They might also engage in unhealthy behaviors, such as using tobacco, drugs, and alcohol. Before getting into a new relationship one should always get to know the person, and never be afraid to say “NO.”

Talking to other people can help heal the mental scars from abusive relationships and give a victim a better piece of mind. You can talk to anyone in your life, such as parents, family members, friends, or even teachers, and counselor. No one will ignore what you have to say. People care about you, and your voice matters, so don’t be afraid to speak up. OHS school psychologist Dr. Claudia Avila said, “I believe we need educational sources for students so that they can become aware of what exactly TDV is, what it looks like, and the signs to look for so that they can also proactively advocate for themselves, both girls and boys.”

Some Oxnard High School students are aware of this issue and have their own opinions about it. Junior Nathalia De La Rosa said, “I would prevent it by staying away from people I’ve heard rumors about or break up with the person.”

Another OHS junior, Fred Vasquez, said, “I would prevent this by not even getting into a relationship or leave the person if they are trying to change you.”

When someone is in an unhealthy relationship, they don’t want to leave the person because they often think some behaviors, such as teasing and name-calling are a “normal” part of a relationship. These behaviors can progress into abuse and develop into more serious forms of violence. “I feel that when you love someone it’s hard to let go, but it’s best to let go when you’re in an abusive relationship,” said OHS junior Jose Estrada. Talking to teens now about TDV can show the importance of developing healthy, respectful relationships before getting into one. That is why OHS is holding its first “Teen Dating Violence” week in association with a local nonprofit, The Coalition for Family Harmony. A number of activities to bring awareness to this issue will be implemented during lunch this week.

No matter what, always remember, unhealthy relationships can start early and last a lifetime.

Here are hotlines if needed:

866‐331‐9474
1-800-300-2181

www.loveisrespect.org     

Break the cycle.org