• Enjoy your Winter Break and Happy Holidays from The Buzz!

• Return back to school on January 7th

• Come support our Winter sports: Basketball, Soccer, Water Polo, and Wrestling!

The Buzz

Filed under Community, News

Daylight Savings

Header: Sunny Summer Days

Subheader: Daylight Savings

Reporter: Sarai Diaz

Daylight Savings is a seasonal time change where clocks are set a time ahead of standard time. It’s set during the summer months and this 2019 year, it started on March 10th and ends on November 3rd. Benjamin Franklin was the first to conceive this idea, in 1784 during his sojourn in the An Economical Project essay. The purpose of DST is to simply make a better use of the daylight. “The hot summer days tend to feel more enjoyable and relaxing. I do like Daylight Savings because it’s a great way to stay productive, while the sun is out later than usual,”  said OHS sophomore Oscar Heredia.

Different countries have various changes in their dates. For example, if you live near the equator, day and night are almost the same length of 12 hours long.“It doesn’t affect me because I really don’t do anything, I do like it because it’s a change,” said OHS Freshman Alicia Olmedo. Although, other parts of the world have much more daylight during the summer than the winter. Arizona and Hawaii are the only states exempt from participating in DST. Arizona is known for its hot summer days. Therefore, an earlier sunset gives the residents the chance for enjoyable temperatures in the evening. Since Hawaii is to the south of most states, they do not experience a major difference between summer and winter daylight.

The U.S Department of Transportation made a poll to indicate whether or not, most Americans like Daylight Savings Time. The answer was yes, “There’s more light in the evening and I can do more,” according to the poll.