Work Hard, Play Hard

OHS students and OHS coaches discuss basketball’s upcoming season.

Oxnard High School’s boys basketball assistant varsity coach Mr. Lobo and OHS varsity head coach Mr. Staniland have discussed their goals for this 2017 Boy’s basketball season. The coaching staff are not the only people setting goals for this season; the players on varsity are also striving to achieve the goals they have set by working hard. Basketball had a good run in 2016 where they were able to clench the league title and make it to CIF (California InNow that basketball has only two returning varsity players they strive to attain more than what they did in last year’s season.

OHS boys’ basketball Varsity team is heading in the right direction this year as they start the season off as being 2-0. They kicked off their first season win against Moorpark high school. Not long after, the team was able to take a win against Spring Valley (Las Vegas).

Expectations are a given but through hard work they can be achieved. OHS varsity basketball assistant coach Lobo discusses the expectations that he has for this years varsity team “last year the expectations were set high although we are a young group there is a ton of potential and hopefully we’ll be able to achieve most of our goals this season”.

As league comes closer and as players work harder goals of winning are not the only thing that some players hope to achieve. Returning OHS Junior, Varsity basketball player Dominic Brown’s strategy for this season with his teammates is to “work hard, play together, and just get closer as a team”.

OHS Varsity basketball team is striving for greatness as well as not letting the fact that they are a young team get in the way of their road towards success. OHS sophomore Emery Barajas hopes to “improve as a team and get ready for the upcoming years, because we are a really young team and we believe we can do it now and we want to do it now”.

Coaches and players are not the only ones hoping to get far in this year’s season, but OHS students are also hoping that the team is able to achieve the goals they have set. OHS Junior Alexis Nelson enjoyed seeing the team “progress and go so far and see the team not give up”.

“We are all excited because we had such an incredible run last year we love the taste and we want to continue that taste and it is Oxnard basketball” said coach Lobo. “Our expectation is to win so hopefully through the hard work they are giving right now and if the ball bounces our way a few times we will build some momentum going into league and the playoffs, looking for success”.