Digging Into Beach Volleyball

The sun’s shining on the season!

A sports team that should be grabbing your attention is the Oxnard High School girls beach volleyball teams. The sport is similar to indoor volleyball in many ways, but in other ways they are different. For example, in beach, there are two sets of teams of two players and they play on a sand court. Our school has three beach volleyball teams; junior varsity one, junior varsity two, and varsity. The teams are coached by current math teacher and alumni Ms. Nicole Schmitz, and fellow alumni Shannon Ballon and Kalene DeGuzman.

The season is going to go well according to the team. “The girls on the team get along really well and I think this is going to be a successful season. The coaches coach with a lot of knowledge and passion for the sport,” said sophomore Morgan Glinski. Communication is everything with a team.   “With the guidance of my coaches, I believe I’m going to become a better all-around player because my coaches know what’s best for me,” said freshman Kiana Casey. The varsity girls had their first league match on March 5th, 2019. They played against Rio Mesa High School at home. OHS is the only school in the Oxnard district to have a volleyball beach court. Congratulations to the girls who started off the season with a win and won in 3 sets to make them 3-0 in league.